- The Washington Times - Friday, September 9, 2016

Former Fox News host Greta Van Susteren said she regrets not believing her ex-colleague Gretchen Carlson’s sexual harassment claims against Roger Ailes, and she criticized 21st Century Fox and its board of directors for not fulfilling their duties to supervise the former network CEO.

“It is indeed true, when I read the complaint written by lawyers — I never spoke to Gretchen as she was long gone from Fox,” Ms. Van Susteren, who abruptly left the network earlier this week, wrote in a Facebook post Friday morning. “I found it inconsistent with what was my experience and information at the Fox News Channel, admittedly working 200 miles from the ‘scene of the crimes.’ It was hidden from all of us.”

Her post came one day after Fox News correspondent Geraldo Rivera apologized on Facebook for responding to Ms. Carlson’s claims with “extreme skepticism.”

“I read Geraldo’s FB post in which he said he regretted not believing Gretchen Carlson’s claim of sexual harassment,” Ms. Van Susteren wrote. “We all regret it…But I have regrets beyond Geraldo’s and beyond not believing a civil complaint written by lawyers.”

Without naming names, Ms. Van Susteren criticized the leadership at Fox News, as well as Fox’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, and its board of directors, which is led by Rupert Murdoch’s two sons, Lachlan and James.

“I regret that Roger Ailes was not supervised by those in a public corporation who had the duty to supervise him,” she wrote. “This included his seniors, the CFO’s of both Fox News Channel and 21CF (and its predecessor NewsCorp), the Board of Directors and what I assume this public corporation had, outside auditors. Checks written that were suspicious should have been spotted.”

Ms. Van Susteren announced her departure from the network Tuesday, just hours after 21st Century Fox announced it had settled Ms. Carlson’s sexual harassment case against Mr. Ailes. Ms. Van Susteren wrote on Facebook that Fox had “not felt like home” for years and that she “took advantage” of a clause in her contract that allowed her to leave immediately.

In a Thursday Facebook post, Ms. Van Susteren demanded that Fox News return all the personal photos and videos from her GretaWire blog that were reportedly deleted without notice.

“Even if there is a legal right for them to not return them — and I don’t know that there is — there is also a fundamental decency,” she wrote. “Many of the videos posted on GretaWire were taken by me on my camera equipment and many are just personal as I brought the viewers into my life and I went into theirs.”

About noon Friday, Ms. Van Susteren wrote that Fox News had fulfilled her request.

“Thank you to Fox News! Late yesterday they said they would return my personal pics and video that I had posted over the years on GretaWire!” she posted on Facebook.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide