- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 20, 2017

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The Latest on Texas GOP efforts to remove U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold’s name from the 2018 ballot following his retirement amid allegations of sexual harassment (all times local):

4:45 p.m.

A lawyer for the Texas Democratic Party says they’re dropping a lawsuit that sought to keep Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold on the 2018 ballot even though he’s retiring.

Attorney Chad Dunn said Wednesday that Democrats made the decision after a federal judge denied their request for an immediate injunction.

Farenthold announced last week he wouldn’t seek re-election amid allegations of sexual harassment. Democrats argued that because Farenthold missed the deadline to withdraw his candidacy, his name should stay on the ballot.

Fellow Republicans urged Farenthold not to run again. He denied 3-year-old accusations that he’d subjected a former aide to sexually suggestive comments.

The Texas GOP says they’re keeping Farenthold off the ballot after state elections officials signaled they couldn’t force his name to remain.

___

1:15 p.m.

Democrats are suing to keep Republican Texas Rep. Blake Farenthold’s name on the 2018 ballot even though he is retiring amid allegations of sexual harassment.

The Texas Democratic Party filed the lawsuit Wednesday hours after GOP officials announced they would remove Farenthold’s name despite missing the deadline for candidates to withdraw.

Farenthold announced last week he wouldn’t seek re-election amid pressure from fellow Republicans. He did so while denying 3-year-old accusations that he’d subjected a former aide to sexually suggestive comments.

The Texas GOP quickly sued to strike Farenthold’s from the ballot even though he missed the withdraw deadline. The party claimed victory Wednesday, saying state elections officials had signaled they couldn’t force Farenthold’s name to remain.

Democrats say Republicans are skirting the rules and asked a federal judge for an injunction.

___

This story has been corrected to reflect that Farenthold did not resign, but said he will not seek re-election.

___

12:25 p.m.

Texas Republican Party leaders say they’ve succeeded in keeping U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold off the 2018 ballot after worrying that the retiring congressman’s name might still appear.

The announcement Wednesday comes a week after Farenthold announced he wouldn’t seek another term amid allegations of sexual harassment. He has denied the accusations but apologized for angry outbursts in his office.

Despite Farenthold’s retirement, the deadline in Texas for candidates to withdraw had already passed. The Texas GOP has six candidates running to replace Farenthold and sued to keep his name off the primary ballot.

Party leaders now say they’re moving to drop the lawsuit after state elections officials signaled they can’t compel the Texas GOP to include the four-term congressman.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide