- Associated Press - Wednesday, December 20, 2017

CHICAGO (AP) - The Latest on a 5-year-old boy who shot himself in the hand months after he was shot in the face (all times local):

8:30 p.m.

A Chicago man has been arrested after his 5-year-old son, who was shot in the face in a 2016 drive-by shooting, accidentally shot himself in the hand with the man’s handgun.

Chicago police said late Wednesday 25-year-old Kevin Collins is charged with felony gun counts, including possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number. He also faces misdemeanor charges of causing a child to be endangered.

Police say Kavan Collins shot himself Tuesday night after finding the loaded, uncased gun in a bedroom of a home on the city’s South Side.

They say Kevin Collins is a convicted felon who obtained the gun illegally.

Last year, the boy was walking with his mom and others when a bullet fired from a vehicle struck him in the jaw.

___

1 p.m.

Chicago police say a 5-year-old boy who was shot in the face in a drive-by shooting last year has accidentally shot himself in the hand.

Police say the latest shooting happened Tuesday night at a home on the city’s South Side. Police say the boy’s father obtained the gun illegally.

Police say Kavan Collins shot himself after finding the gun in a bedroom.

Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says detectives are questioning the father about the weapon, which wasn’t registered and had a defaced serial number. He says the father will likely to be charged with felony counts related to the gun and child endangerment. Police didn’t release the father’s name.

In 2016, the boy was walking with his mom and others when a bullet fired from a vehicle struck him in the jaw.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide