- The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The Trump administration is considering a range of options to counter Iran’s aggressive activity in the Middle East, said a senior official who would not rule out military action.

The official said that all options are under consideration, including financial and economic.

Iran is fully aware of what they are doing,” the official said. “We are going to respond appropriately.”

Earlier, National Security Adviser Michael Flynn said the White House was “officially putting Iran on notice.”

Rather that delivering a warning through the State Department, it came from the White House to underscore the importance placed upon the issue by President Trump.

The escalation of warnings follow a series of provocations by Iran, including a ballistic missile test and an attack by Iran-backed militants on a Saudi naval vessel in the Red Sea.

The White House has undertaken a “deliberative process” to assess options for responding to Tehran, the official said.

The response to recent Iranian actions was separate from issues related to the Iran nuclear deal.

The U.S. previously condemned a Iran missile test Tuesday as provocative and irresponsible.

Houthi militants banked by Iran also attacked a Saudi naval ship Monday by ramming it with an explosive-packed boat, killing two Saudi crew members in the explosion.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide