- Associated Press - Sunday, February 26, 2017

NEWBURY, N.H. (AP) - A church and a former schoolhouse in South Newbury, New Hampshire, have been added to the state Register of Historic Places.

The South Newbury Union Church, an example of a Greek Revival meetinghouse, was used for both church services and for public and town meetings from the time it was built in 1831 until 1878, when a town hall was built. It still has patterned moldings and four-panel inner doors that open to the aisles between the pews.

Next door to the church, the District School House #5 was built in 1853 and was the educational center of South Newbury Village for more than 100 years. Today, it’s known as the Friendship House and is a meeting space for the South Newbury Union Church.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide