- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Trump administration said Tuesday it’s reviewing a possible “adjustment” of former President Obama’s release of more than $220 million to the Palestinian Authority, hours before he left office last week.

Acting State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the agency is “currently reviewing last-minute spending approved by the previous administration and will make adjustments if needed to ensure that it aligns with the priorities of the Trump-Pence administration.”

Then-Secretary of State John F. Kerry instructed USAID to release $220.3 million for Gaza recovery programs last week, a move that had been blocked by congressional Republicans.

A written notification dated last Friday was sent to Congress just hours before Mr. Trump took the oath of office.

Congress approved the funding for the Palestinians in 2015 and 2016. But at least two Republican lawmakers — Reps. Edward R. Royce of California, the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and Kay Granger of Texas, a member of the House Appropriations Committee — had placed holds on releasing the funds.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide