- Associated Press - Thursday, July 13, 2017

MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) - Officials say ten lifeguards at a public pool in Manhattan were taken to a hospital for chlorine exposure.

Manhattan Parks and Recreation spokeswoman Melissa Kirkwood says the lifeguards were exposed Wednesday at Northview Pool. KSNT-TV (https://bit.ly/2uVQtyw ) reports that patrons weren’t sickened because the chlorine apparently was released during a break that gives the lifeguards a chance to get into the pool and cool down while everyone else gets out of the water.

Kirkwood blamed the release on an equipment malfunction that was caused by a lightning strike earlier this month. The Manhattan Fire Department was able to contain the leak late Wednesday afternoon, but the pool remains closed for now.

___

Information from: KSNT-TV.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide