- The Washington Times - Monday, July 3, 2017

A guilty plea by would-be Elton John concert bomber Haroon Syed landed the British man a life sentence on Monday.

Roughly 50,000 people who attended an Elton John concert in Hyde Park in 2016 were the target of a terrorist attack involving machine guns and a suicide vest. The “martyrdom” goal set by Syed, 19, never materialized because he came into contact with MI5 officers in his search for weaponry.

“Two things. Number one, machine gun and we need someone who can make a vest you know the dugma [button] one,” the west London man told an agent, BBC reported Monday. “So after some damage with machine gun then do itishadi [martyrdom] … that’s what I’m planning to do.”

In addition to targeting Mr. John’s concert — a 9/11 memorial event — Syed admitted to plotting terror attacks for Buckingham Palace and Oxford Street between April and September last year.

“If I go to prison, I go to prison,” he told an undercover agent. “If I die, I die, you understand? I have got to get to Jannah [heaven].”



Judge Michael Topolski QC of the Old Bailey (the Central Criminal Court of England and Wales) issued Syed a life sentence on Monday for “research, planning and attempting to source materials to produce an improvised explosive device with a view committing acts against persons in the U.K.”

The sentence requires a minimum of 16½ years behind bars, BBC reported.

Syed’s 24-year-old brother, Nadir, also received a life sentence in 2016 for a beheading plot.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide