- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 16, 2017

Conservative talk radio host Michael Savage says he was attacked by a man as he was leaving a San Francisco Bay Area restaurant Tuesday night.

In a statement Wednesday to Rich Lieberman’s 415 Media, Mr. Savage said he was exiting Servino Ristorante in Tiburon when a “total stranger” followed him outside and started making fun of his legal name, Michael Alan Weiner.

“I turned to him and said, ‘Go away, I don’t know who you are,’ ” Mr. Savage, 74, wrote in all caps, 415 Media reported.

“I turned to leave and he pushed me and I fell down,” he continued. “He moved toward me to push me down and he shoved my 10 pound poodle out of the way to get to me. He has lied and said I pushed him. That is absurd. Both of hands were holding onto things!”

Mr. Savage’s attorney, Daniel Horowitz, told the San Jose Mercury News that the radio host had a bag of leftover food in one hand and his toy poodle, Teddy, in the other when he was attacked.

Mr. Horowitz said another customer tried to intervene in the scuffle and was subsequently punched in the face by Mr. Savage’s alleged attacker. Mr. Horowitz said his client was able to get up and help the other victim while he called police.

Mr. Horowitz said no one was hurt in the fight.

“He called me from the scene,” he told the Mercury News. “Truthfully, I think he was more furious than anything. He was saying he had just wanted to go out and have a nice dinner. He said, ‘This guy can’t get away with that.’ “

Mr. Horowitz told 415 Media that his office is looking into whether the attack was politically motivated due to Mr. Savage’s staunch support of President Trump.

“We’re going to seek felony charges against the man and we’re going to investigate this as a Hate Crime because of Michael’s political views,” he said.

Tiburon police spokeswoman Laurie Nilsen told the Mercury News that officers arrived on the scene at about 8:25 p.m. Tuesday. Both men claimed that the other had started the fight and had placed each other under citizen’s arrest until police arrived.

No arrests were made and both men were released at the scene. The case will be referred to the District Attorney’s Office to determine whether charges will be filed, the Mercury News reported.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide