- Associated Press - Friday, March 3, 2017

SPRINGFIELD, Mich. (AP) - An 11-year-old girl has died and her mother and the woman’s boyfriend are in critical condition due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning inside a southern Michigan building that was serving as a makeshift home.

The Calhoun County sheriff’s department says the victims were found Thursday night in Springfield and that a generator powering a kerosene heater caused carbon monoxide to accumulate inside the structure.

Deputies forced their way inside and found the girl, the 44-year-old man and the 41-year-old woman. The adults were hospitalized. Their names were not immediately released.

The Battle Creek Enquirer reports that a nearby resident called police, telling them a family was inside the commercial building which had no electric service.

The newspaper says signs outside the building indicate it may have been an upholstery shop.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide