- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 17, 2017

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) - A former federal prosecutor hired to lead a review of Charlottesville, Virginia’s, response to three nationalist rallies this summer says he hasn’t been given access to records he’s requested from state agencies.

Tim Heaphy said last month that he wanted to review the assistance Charlottesville received from the Virginia National Guard, the Department of Emergency Management and state police.

Heaphy told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that as of Oct. 9, he hadn’t received replies to Freedom of Information Act requests or separate requests he sent to state agencies.

A spokesman for Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe said the state has had “ongoing discussions” with Heaphy, but is prioritizing its own review ahead of the review by Charlottesville.

A counter-protester was killed during an Aug. 12 white nationalist rally.

___

Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, https://www.richmond.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide