- Associated Press - Saturday, October 7, 2017

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (AP) - A judge has denied a request for a new attorney for a man accused of firing a semi-automatic rifle at officers outside a northeastern Pennsylvania shopping center two years ago.

The Wilkes-Barre Citizens’ Voice (https://bit.ly/2z65sbl ) reports that the Luzerne County judge rejected 33-year-old Scott Sargent’s request Friday in the attempted murder case.

Authorities said police exchanged fire with Sargent in the crowded Wilkes-Barre Township parking lot near Walmart in October 2015, wounding him in the abdomen.

Prosecutors called the new attorney request a delay tactic by the defendant, who was judged competent last month for trial. Jury selection is scheduled Oct. 16.

Prosecutors also said if a “guilty but mentally ill” defense is contemplated, they should be told. Defense attorney Joseph Yeager said he hasn’t committed to that strategy.

___

Information from: The Citizens’ Voice, https://www.citizensvoice.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide