By Associated Press - Tuesday, September 12, 2017

NEW ALBANY, Ind. (AP) - Firefighters say a gas leak caused a southern Indiana house explosion that destroyed the home and shook nearby businesses.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that Monday’s explosion was caused by the failure of a supply line running from a propane tank to the New Albany home’s furnace.

No injuries were reported.

New Chapel Fire and EMS shift captain Matt Owen tells the News and Tribune the propane leak likely went unnoticed because it’s believed no one had been inside three-bedroom home for about two weeks.

Floyd County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Doug Standiford says his grandmother owns the house and was planning to rent it to relatives.

Nearby business owner Lea Koons says the blast shook her chiropractic practice, causing window blinds to sway and knocking down ceiling debris.


Information from: News and Tribune, Jeffersonville, Ind.,

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide