- Associated Press - Friday, September 8, 2017

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - An electrical failure that led to sparking and smoke in a closet has closed Michigan’s Capitol building for the day.

Capitol facilities director Robert Blackshaw says the Capitol was evacuated Friday morning and is scheduled to reopen as normal on Monday. He says staff reacted quickly so no water was released from the fire suppression system.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the electrical failure was a transformer that Blackshaw says is being replaced. Tests will be conducted to make sure only the transformer was the issue.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide