- Associated Press - Friday, April 27, 2018

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut judge has withdrawn a plea deal offered to a man charged with shooting and severely injuring a former high school basketball player after hearing from the victim.

The Hartford Court reports that Alphonso Clarke had been offered a 13-year prison sentence if he pleaded guilty to first-degree assault in the January 2017 shooting of Greg Beaufort after a confrontation in an East Hartford store. Beaufort, a former basketball player at East Hartford High, was struck seven times.

He told the judge Thursday that while Clarke will one day walk free, he will always be “messed up.”

After listening to Beaufort, the judge withdrew the plea and said she would consider a prosecution proposal that would give Clarke two more years behind bars.

Clarke told the judge she was unfair.

___

Information from: Hartford Courant, http://www.courant.com


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide