FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Florida teen was seriously burned when she attempted to pour gasoline on a fire at a New Year’s Eve party.
Treasure Coast Newspapers reports that the 14-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital in critical condition Sunday night in the final hours of 2017. Her mother says doctors aren’t sure if the teen will survive.
The St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office says the girl had been huddled around a dwindling bonfire at a friend’s Fort Pierce home before attempting to pour gasoline on it. A report says the gas can exploded, and the girl became engulfed in flames. She suffered third-degree burns to 95 percent of her body.
Another teen and his parents were treated for burns after trying to extinguish the flames on the girl.
Information from: The Stuart (Fla.) News, http://www.tcpalm.com
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.