- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 26, 2018

WATERFORD, Conn. (AP) - First responders have rescued a toddler who fell down a Connecticut home’s ventilation shaft and became stuck between the first and second floors.

Kristie Mendes tells WVIT-TV she briefly left her son in a room at their Waterford home Tuesday morning when she heard screaming.

Mendes returned to find 14-month-old Elijah Irizarry inside the vent. Fire officials say the child had fallen about 12 feet (4 meters) into a 90 degree elbow of the shaft.

Firefighters used a crawl space beneath the home and took apart the ventilation duct work to rescue the child. The process took about 20 minutes.

Elijah has been hospitalized with minor scrapes on his stomach and legs.

Mendes says she is buying new tops for all the air vents in her home.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide