- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 28, 2018

CLEVELAND (AP) - A U.S. soldier from northeast Ohio who was killed in the Korean War has been identified after 68 years and is to be buried with full military honors.

The Plain Dealer reports that the niece of Army Sgt. First Class Peter Simon says his remains are being returned for burial Saturday in a cemetery in the Cleveland suburb of Northfield.

Dolores Soltesz, of the Cleveland suburb of Maple Heights, says the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency notified her earlier this year that Simon’s remains had been identified. The agency said he was killed in action Sept. 5, 1950. His remains were found the next year but remained unidentified until this January.

Soltesz says Simon’s mother had previously provided officials with a DNA sample for identification purposes.

___

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide