- Associated Press - Friday, January 11, 2019

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) - The operators of a Kansas water park where a 10-year-old boy was decapitated aren’t saying whether the attraction will open for the upcoming season.

Schlitterbahn spokeswoman Winter Prosapio said Friday in an email that the Texas-based company doesn’t have an announcement “at this time” about the park where Caleb Schwab died in 2016 while riding a 17 story-slide that was billed as the world’s largest. The slide, called Verruckt, never operated again and has been torn down .

Season passes for 2019 for the Kansas City, Kansas, park aren’t available on Schlitterbahn’s website, although they have been by now in past years. Also, the company is selling passes for its four Texas locations.

“Unfortunately I have no further details about Kansas City,” Prosapio said. “Our Texas parks open for spring break and a great deal of our focus is on preparations at our parks and resorts in Galveston, Corpus Christi, New Braunfels, and South Padre. “

The Kansas park opens later, typically on Memorial Day weekend. Several rides weren’t operating when the park opened last year after an audit found violations of state amusement park regulations, mostly pertaining to record keeping and safety signs. Caleb’s death prompted lawmakers to strengthen the state’s regulation of amusement park rides in 2017.

Prosecutors have charged several people, alleging that shoddy planning and maintenance led to Caleb’s death on a special day for elected officials. Caleb was the son of Scott Schwab , a state lawmaker who’s been elected Kansas secretary of state. Caleb’s family received nearly $20 million in settlements.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide