Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP’S 2020 MACHINE A FAR CRY FROM FLY-BY-NIGHT 2016 EFFORT
The president is assembling an army of operatives to fight for re-election in what stands to be a legacy-defining political battle.
2. FAA PLANNING REVAMP OF AIRCRAFT OVERSIGHT
While the agency has made improvements to its oversight of airplane manufacturers, it plans by July to develop new evaluation criteria for training and company self-audits.
3. DISMISSAL OF JUSSIE SMOLLETT ATTACK CASE BRINGS BACKLASH
Both Chicago’s mayor and police chief raise questions about why the “Empire” actor was not forced to admit what prosecutors say was a publicity stunt.
4. ‘I’M NERVOUS, I’M SCARED’
While confident he will eventually be exonerated, famed attorney Michael Avenatti says he is concerned about federal charges for extortion and wire and bank fraud.
5. DEMS ZERO IN ON TRUMP’S ATTACK ON ‘OBAMACARE’
Democrats are seizing a political opportunity as Trump revives his push to quash the Affordable Care Act.
6. CYCLONE-DAMAGED CITY LONG KNEW PERILS OF CLIMATE CHANGE
Much of the Mozambican city of Beira is below sea level on a coastline that experts call one of the world’s most vulnerable to global warming’s rising waters, AP finds.
7. WHAT HAS WEST CONCERNED
As Ukraine’s presidential election draws near, its ultranationalist groups are becoming increasingly visible.
8. US SHUTS INTERIOR CHECKPOINTS TO FOCUS ON MEXICO BORDER
The U.S. Border Patrol temporarily closes highway checkpoints in West Texas and New Mexico to handle an influx of Central American families arriving at the border.
9. CARDI B RESPONDS TO BACKLASH OVER OLD INSTAGRAM LIVE VIDEO
The Grammy-winning rapper tries to clarify herself after a video resurfaced online where she says she drugged and robbed men for money.
10. NFL MAKES BIG CHANGE IN RULEBOOK
Pass interference, whether flagged or not, can be challenged by coaches and reviewed by officials next season.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.