- Associated Press - Friday, August 14, 2020

MANDAN, N.D. (AP) - A big fire at an apartment building in Mandan this week started accidentally with improperly discarded smoking materials, police said Friday.

The determination was made after examination of physical evidence and interviews with building occupants and witnesses, Deputy Police Chief Lori Flaten said in a statement.

Residents in 31 units of the third-story apartment building were displaced by the fire Monday evening. Flaten says it began on a third-floor balcony. It spread through the attic and consumed the building’s rooftop.

No one was injured in the fire.

Residents have been allowed back into the building to retrieve belongings on the first and second floors. The building management owner says it won’t be known for a while whether the building can be saved.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide