By Associated Press - Friday, December 25, 2020

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Officials say Dane County has secured a six-month extension of a program linking local growers with food pantries that was set to expire at the end of this year.

County Executive Joe Parisi announced earlier this week that a $5 million agreement has been reached with Second Harvest Foodbank of Southern Wisconsin to continue the program through at least the end of July.

The program began in April with the help of about $8 million of the county’s federal coronavirus relief funding. More than 4,000 hours of service have been logged to help those experiencing hardship and hunger, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.



Many people facing job losses have turned to food pantries for meals. Requests for food from Second Harvest has increased more than 50% since last year, the nonprofit’s leader said last month.

Parisi said the program helps families struggling to put food on the table, keeps pantry shelves stocked and benefits local agricultural producers who need new markets to sell their goods. Second Harvest has teamed up with the Dane County Dairy and Pork Producers, Dane County Farmers’ Market and Fairshare CSA Coalition.

“This funding extension could not have come at a better time,” Michelle Orge, president and CEO of Second Harvest, said in an announcement.

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide