- The Washington Times - Monday, February 10, 2020

Washington Redskins cornerback Quinton Dunbar requested Monday to be traded or released from the team over concerns about his contract, a source familiar with the situation said.

Dunbar, 27, is entering the final year of his deal, set to make $3.25 million — none of which is guaranteed. The Redskins have overhauled their front office over the past few weeks, parting ways with longtime cap guru Eric Schaffer and team president Bruce Allen.

Unhappy with the lack of contract negotiations with the new regime, Dunbar requested the Redskins move on after meeting with a member of the Redskins, a source said.

The source said with Schaffer, the Redskins had started discussions with the cornerback and Schaffer was in the stage of presenting an offer. But talks went cold when the Redskins reorganized their front office. Rob Rogers, Washington’s vice president of player administration who was hired last month, is believed to be the person now responsible for contract negotiations. 

The lack of guaranteed money in Dunbar’s old deal was a heavy factor as to why he was pushing for a new deal — as well as his overall progression at his position.



Before his request, Dunbar had already planned on skipping the team’s voluntary practices in the spring due to his contract. The 27-year-old did not want to risk getting injured as he saw linebacker Reuben Foster suffer a horrific leg injury last year during OTAs, a source said. Foster has not played since and only recently regained complete feeling in his foot.

With the Redskins, Dunbar had emerged as one of the team’s most steady players. He was first brought to Washington as an undrafted free agent wide receiver in 2015 before he was eventually moved to cornerback. The Florida product progressed each year, becoming a starter in 2018 after Bashaud Breeland was not retained.

In 2019, Dunbar was not only the Redskins‘ best cornerback — he was one of the highest-rated players at his position. According to Pro Football Focus, Dunbar had the second-highest cornerback grade among players who played at least 200 snaps, trailing only Richard Sherman.

Dunbar, though, landed on injured reserve for the second consecutive year. He was shut down with a hamstring injury, appearing in only 11 games. Dunbar also missed nine games in 2018 with a nerve issue in his leg.

The health problems could help explain why Dunbar is pushing for a new deal, as well as his ascension at the position. Dunbar’s $4.4 million cap hit is well below what above-average cornerbacks are paid.

ESPN was the first to report Dunbar’s request. 

Even before Monday’s news, cornerback figured to be a position the Redskins would seek to upgrade this offseason. The Redskins can cut Josh Norman and save $12.5 million, while starter Fabian Moreau was inconsistent and struggled in coverage.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide