- Associated Press - Wednesday, November 11, 2020

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - The Charleston International Airport reopened Wednesday after a suspicious package found on the property was deemed not explosive, officials said.

Airport officials and the Transportation Security Administration said all passengers and employees were evacuated from the terminal around 11:15 a.m. after TSA agents identified a package that was a potential threat during a routine screening of checked luggage.

Elliott Summey, chief executive of the Charleston County Aviation Authority, said the Charleston County bomb squad responded to the airport, along with other law enforcement agencies. During a news conference, Summey noted how safe the airport was and said teams were ready to respond.

“We’re always prepared and always on go,” Summey said. “This is the safest airport in America. We have all of the procedures always in place to make sure that when these sorts of things happen, then effectively and efficiently we get everyone to safety and that is what was done here today.”

Deputy director and chief communications officer Spencer Pryor later told WCBD-TV that the package had been removed from the terminal and inspected.



“At about 1:30 p.m. the all clear was given and the terminal was reopened. The suspicious item was deemed not to be an explosive,” Pryor said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide