- Associated Press - Thursday, September 10, 2020

BARRE, Vt. (AP) - A fire that damaged an apartment building in Barre was likely caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, Vermont fire investigators said.

The fire happened on Saturday night in a five-unit apartment building. An occupant awoke to find a fire on the second-floor rear porch. All of the occupants were able to safely escape, except one tenant who was seriously injured from jumping out of a second story window, the Department of Public Safety said Tuesday.

The fire caused heavy damage to the porch and roof, and smoke and water damage to the rest of the building.

Investigators determined that the fire began on the second-floor porch in a waste can that contained paper and discarded smoking materials, the department said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide