- The Washington Times - Wednesday, September 2, 2020

President Trump is calling on CNN to fire Chris Cuomo over leaked audio in which the prime-time host allegedly claimed he had been accused of sexual harassment during his time at ABC News.

“Will Fredo be fired by Fake News @CNN?” Mr. Trump tweeted Wednesday morning. “He speaks with great disrespect about women, and it will only get worse.”

The tweet comes after Fox News host Tucker Carlson aired a brief clip Tuesday night of Mr. Cuomo allegedly speaking with Mr. Trump’s former personal lawyer Michael Cohen. In the clip, which was reportedly recorded by Mr. Cohen despite being off-the-record, the CNN host allegedly complained about the accusations he faced at ABC, where he worked from 2000 and 2013.

“I’m always careful when I talk to media, you know,” Mr. Cuomo allegedly says in the clip. “Do you know how many [expletive] phone calls I’ve gotten from people at ABC who say that reporters are calling and lying about me and trying to get stories about me when I was at ABC? Guys calling and saying, ‘I heard he was the Charlie Rose of ABC, he used to invite women to his hotel and open his bathrobe.’ Do I look like the kind of [expletive] guy who’s gotta do that?”

“Sure, why not?” Mr. Cohen allegedly replies.



“I always told you,” Mr. Cuomo allegedly adds, “the media is not your friend.”

Neither CNN nor the Mr. Cuomo have publicly responded to the audio.

Mr. Trump said there hasn’t been a better time for Mr. Cuomo to be taken off the air due to his ratings.

“Fredo’s Ratings are bad, so this is the time,” the president wrote. “Always terrible to speak to sleazebags, especially when you are being recorded. CNN has no choice, Fredo must go!”

Mr. Trump had his own issues with leaked audio just before his election in 2016 after he was heard in 2005 making lewd comments about women with then-“Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush.

Mr. Cohen, whose new book “Disloyal: The True Story of the Former Personal Attorney to President Donald J. Trump” is set to be released next week, said he did not give Fox News permission to air the recording of Mr. Cuomo.

“The only people in possession of these recordings are me, @DOJ, @POTUS & Trump Org,” Mr. Cohen tweeted. “I did not give this recording or authorization for its use to @FoxNews or anyone. @POTUS and cronies violated my First amendment rights and now this; all to discredit me and my book. What’s next?”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide