The Biden administration is reportedly seeking contempt of court charges against former President Donald Trump.
The Justice Department has asked a federal court to hold him in contempt because he hasn’t complied with a subpoena demanding records marked classified, CNN reported Thursday.
The network cited “two sources familiar with the matter” because the proceedings are under seal.
The contempt hearing is set for Friday and could result in fines against the former president.
According to CNN, the request to hold Mr. Trump in contempt follows claims by the former president’s legal team that it had found two documents marked classified in a series of searches at four Trump facilities last month.
The Trump team handed over the documents to the FBI and told D.C. District Chief Judge Beryl Howell that it thereby had complied with a subpoena earlier this year.
No, it hadn’t, Justice said in the filing with Judge Howell, according to CNN.
One of CNN’s sources said the Justice Department has not told Mr. Trump’s attorneys why it thinks the subpoenas have not been complied with or what materials in Mr. Trump’s possession should have been returned but haven’t.