New England Sports Network - Bio, News, Photos - Washington Times
Skip to content

Topic - New England Sports Network

The New England Sports Network, or NESN [NESS-en], is a regional cable television network that covers the six New England states except Fairfield County, Connecticut and Southbury, Connecticut, a town in New Haven County, Connecticut which is covered by New York City sports networks. It is available on New England cable systems, and nationally (in both standard definition and high definition) through satellite TV providers DirecTV (Channel 628) and Dish Network (Channel 434). The Boston Red Sox are a co-founder and the majority owner (80%) of NESN, with the Boston Bruins owning the remaining 20%. NESN is thus partially owned by the New York Times Company, through its interest in New England Sports Ventures, which owns the Red Sox. Although it mainly broadcasts non-national Boston Red Sox and Boston Bruins games, NESN also features minor league baseball, regional college sports including college hockey games on Friday nights, various outdoor shows, and sports talk shows featuring the sports columnists of The Boston Globe, as that paper is also owned by the New York Times. NESN was, for a time, the New England carrier for Fox Sports Net (before Sports Channel New England joined Fox Sports Net), after that, until early 2006, NESN carried ESPNews in the afternoon and overnight hours. NESN has carried regional Atlantic Coast Conference basketball games since Boston College joined the conference, including games from Fox Sports Net since FSN sold regional competitor CSN New England. NESN was launched as a premium channel, however it moved to a basic cable in 2001, a successful model that has since been copied by the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Baltimore Orioles and others through their respective launch of new regional sports networks. - Source: Wikipedia

Related Stories

No Stories Found