- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
How Stalin, the ‘breaker of nations,’ hated, murdered Jews
Question of the Day
The core of Mr. Lustiger’s volume is the tragedy that befell the members of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee (JAFC). Organized in March 1942 in Moscow with Stalin’s full approval, the JAFC was assigned the job of fund-raising in the United States for the Soviet war effort. Solomon Mikhoels, the charismatic director of the Moscow Yiddish Art Theatre, and Itzik Feffer, a Yiddish poet but also a secret police informer, were sent to the United States in May 1943 on a six-month tour. It was highly successful. Forgotten was the Nazi-Soviet alliance from August 1939 to June 22, 1941, when Hitler invaded the Soviet Union. During that 20-month entente cordiale, writes Mr. Lustiger, the Soviet media substituted the phrase “reactionary racism” for the word “fascism” which could no longer be mentioned let alone be criticized. It was ten days after the German invasion, July 2, 1941, before Stalin permitted public criticism of Germany. And equally forgotten was Stalin’s purge of the Red Army during which 40,000 officers were executed, among them 169 Jewish generals.
As for the JAFC, on Nov. 20, 1948, it was officially dissolved. By Jan. 28, 1949, some 100 committee members were in jail as “rootless cosmopolitans,” a euphemism Stalin adopted, says Mr. Lustiger, “so as not to put the party’s reputation with the international left at risk.” And yet at the same time Stalin was supporting Israel in the United Nations including official recognition of the Zionist state. A few months later Stalin was inveighing against “Zionism” as an outpost of American imperialism and the JAFC members became part of a Zionist-U.S. conspiracy against the Soviet Union.
Stalin’s first JAFC victim was Solomon Mikhoels whom he ordered shot and then run over by a truck to make it appear he died in an accident. Svetlana is authority for this revelation since she says she heard her father in January 1948 telephone the order to liquidate the actor. There followed a great State funeral and a lavish obituary in Pravda mourning the great loss.
His next victims were some 110 JAFC members, all accused of espionage, nationalist propaganda, and of seeking to establish a Jewish republic in the Crimea as a “bridgehead” for American imperialism. The trial of the top 15 JAFC members began May 8, 1952. And it is here that the book comes into its own with the trial transcript of the JAFC leadership, which fought back. It didn’t help. Thirteen of the 15 were executed by firing squad Aug. 12, 1952. (Confusion here: The post-Soviet rehabilitation document in 1989 cited in the book refers to 10 JAFC members condemned to death).
Despite its many imperfections Mr. Lustiger’s book is encyclopedic and remains an important work in the history of the Soviet Union.
Arnold Beichman, a Hoover Institution research fellow, is a columnist for The Washington Times.
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq