- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
- ‘127 Hours’ author Aron Lee Ralston, who amputated arm in canyon, arrested in Denver
- Men posing as cops break into home of former deputy
- Berkshire County eschews greenback for own currency — BerkShares
- Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
- Florida authorities ban autistic boy from owning therapeutic chickens
- Defendant in Lee Rigby machete murder trial: ‘I love al Qaeda’
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, ‘cherry-picked’ intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a ‘wealthy white men’ racist word
- Democrat thwarts Nevada activist’s try to name peak after Reagan
Iraqi ‘secret plan’ orders mayhem
KUWAIT CITY — A document from the Iraqi intelligence service in Basra — which was captured in April as coalition forces gained control — orders agents to start campaigns of sabotage, looting and murder should Iraq lose the war.
The document, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Times, also orders intelligence agents to infiltrate political parties and religious institutions, should the Saddam Hussein regime be toppled.
The document, stamped “Extremely Confidential,” described itself as an “Emergency Secret Plan” and is signed, unintelligibly, by “The Head of General Intelligence”.
It comprises just one page on official letterhead and uses the terse style typical of other captured security documents.
The Arabic-language document is noteworthy because it tracks closely with the chaos that has since descended on Iraq, with daily ambushes of U.S. soldiers and mass anti-American demonstrations by Muslim groups.
In the past two weeks, at least seven American soldiers have been killed and dozens wounded in ambushes by Saddam loyalists.
Security on the streets of Baghdad is described as nonexistent, with people cowering in their homes, armed with AK-47 rifles, fearing marauding bands of thugs and looters.
The document first fell into the hands of a leading Iraqi religious movement after its members, along with other Iraqis, ransacked Basra’s intelligence headquarters.
Although British troops expelled forces loyal to Saddam early in April, the document was given to coalition forces only a few days ago, a British-based aid worker said.
The document begins: “Please take the following measures in case of the fall of the Iraqi Leadership by the American-British-Zionist coalition, God forbid.”
It then lists 11 measures. At the top is “looting and setting alight of all government offices.”
It urges the destruction “in particular” of intelligence and military security buildings.
It also urges that its operatives “cause damage” to electrical power facilities and water plants, and “cut internal and international communications.”
In addition, it orders its agents to “assassinate religious scholars and preachers from the mosques and places of prayer.”
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Ever wondered why people have such trouble getting along?
A politically conservative and morally liberal Hebrew alpha male hunts left-wing viper
Taking a deeper look at the undeniable connection between mind and body from a writer and speaker on matters of health, and a practitioner of Christian Science.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow