- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
Senators join forces to roll back parts of Patriot Act
A bipartisan group of lawmakers and advocacy groups have formed a “Coalition of Conscience” to roll back sections of the Patriot Act they say encroach on civil liberties.
“This is an amazing coalition. Very seldom do these groups and these senators come together,” said Sen. Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat.
Sen. Larry E. Craig, Idaho Republican, and Mr. Durbin — joined by representatives from the American Civil Liberties Union and American Conservative Union, among others — yesterday introduced the Security and Freedom Ensured (SAFE) Act.
The bill would limit the use of “sneak and peek” search warrants, which allow searches without notifying the target, to situations where a life is at stake, evidence may be destroyed or there is a flight risk.
Roving wiretaps, which allow surveillance of any phone a person is known to use, could only be employed when the suspect is present. Warrants for these wiretaps must also identify the target and location of the wiretap.
Mr. Craig said they could not document any abuses of the Patriot Act since it was first enacted two years ago.
“This has nothing to do with the current administration; it’s about putting into effect the right law,” he said.
Sen. Russell D. Feingold, Wisconsin Democrat, said the bill is a “wake-up call to Congress and the administration to address serious concerns.”
Mr. Feingold said during a press briefing that 90 percent of the Patriot Act was sound, but that there was a strong bipartisan effort to change the remaining 10 percent.
The Patriot Act passed two years ago with overwhelming support from Congress. Opposition to the SAFE Act is expected, but none was voiced after a press conference yesterday. The Justice Department was asked to comment on the pending legislation but declined to respond immediately.
The bill also reinstates pre-Patriot Act standards for seizing business and library records, and the FBI must show a suspected terrorist or spy is being targeted. Library computers could not be searched without a court order.
“We are very happy about this,” said Emily Sheketoff, executive director of the American Library Association. “This bill recognizes many problems the general public has been concerned about,” she said.
The ACLU sued the government, saying those sections of the law allow the FBI to obtain medical, business, library and genetic records without probable cause.
“That the bill could garner strong support from both sides of the aisle shows just how far the government has strayed from the American ideals of checks and balances against overreaching government authority,” said Laura Murphy, director of the ACLU’s Washington legislative office.
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Harry Reid's visa pressure cooker
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- KOENIG: Should Congress hike your taxes ... or, instead, slash spending?
- Christmas secularists get 6-foot beer-can Festivus pole at Florida Statehouse
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.
The “Silver Tsunami” created by aging Baby Boomers is hitting America. Let’s explore how we adjust to it, enjoy it and defy negative expectations about age.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Global economy, the civilizing power of markets and public morals.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow