- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
President to answer all 9/11 questions
Question of the Day
President Bush will privately answer all questions raised by a federal commission investigating the September 11 attacks, the White House said yesterday, apparently dropping a one-hour limit on the president’s testimony.
The shift came on the heels of accusations by presumed Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry that Mr. Bush was “stonewalling” investigations of the terrorist attacks and U.S. intelligence failures.
“It appears he doesn’t want to let the facts get in the way of his campaign,” presidential spokesman Scott McClellan said of Mr. Kerry.
It was the administration’s second change of heart about the commission. Mr. Bush originally had opposed the panel’s request for a two-month extension of its work but he eventually relented.
“This administration has provided unprecedented cooperation to the 9/11 commission,” Mr. McClellan said. “It provided access to every single bit of information that they have requested.”
The 10-member commission sought interviews with Mr. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney about what the administration knew before the attacks, potentially a sensitive subject in an election year.
Mr. Bush had agreed to meet privately for an hour with the chairman and vice chairman of the commission, but said it was unnecessary for him to testify publicly. Mr. Cheney also has said he would meet with some commissioners.
Mr. McClellan indicated the one-hour limit had been dropped. “He’s going to answer all the questions they want to raise,” he said repeatedly, without raising the time restriction.
Commission members are seeking public testimony from Mr. Bush’s national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, who has refused to appear on the advice of White House lawyers. Miss Rice has testified in private before the commission and, Mr. McClellan said, “only five members showed up.”
In previous hearings, the commission has highlighted government missteps before the 2001 attacks.
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world