- The Washington Times - Monday, May 31, 2004

A ‘Real’ ‘Party’

Associated Press

Actor Scott Wolf, 35, of the former Fox hit “Party of Five,” has tied the knot with Kelley Limp, a former cast member of MTV’s “The Real World.”

The two exchanged vows in a traditional wedding ceremony Saturday at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Fayetteville, Ark., Miss Limp’s hometown.

Miss Limp, 27, now works in television marketing in Los Angeles. She joined “The Real World: New Orleans” in the spring of 2000.

The couple met through an unnamed mutual friend in New York, they said. The newlyweds plan to live in Santa Monica, Calif., after a honeymoon in Africa.

Over and out

New York Post

Despite Mario Lopez’s desperate attempts to save his month-old marriage, his wife Ali Landry is having none of it.

Miss Landry, who dated Mr. Lopez — a former “Saved By the Bell” star and co-host of the now canceled all-male talk show “The Other Half”— for six years before tying the knot last month in Mexico, ditched him after she found out he cheated on her during his bachelor party, the New York Post reports.

Miss Landry, who moved out of the couple’s Glendale home, is currently looking at houses in the Hollywood Hills for herself and is “spurning Mario’s many efforts to reconcile their brief marriage.”

A rep for Miss Landry declined comment.

Stamp of approval

Associated Press

Burbank, Calif. officials dedicated the downtown post office to Bob Hope last Saturday, on what would have been his 101st birthday.

The facility is also honoring the entertainer by using the profile of his famous ski-jump nose for a cancellation stamp to mark used postage.

As part of the dedication ceremony, Mr. Hope’s wife Dolores, now 95, sang two bars of the song, “I’m Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter.”

Mr. Hope died of pneumonia July 27.

Trying times

New York Times

Dance Theatre of Harlem, the groundbreaking black ballet company founded 35 years ago, may disband its 44-member troupe if it fails to come up with $2.5 million to stanch its losses by the end June, Arthur Mitchell, the group’s founder, said last week.

The company intends to continue its school, which serves 800 to 1,000 students, Mr. Mitchell, 70, said.

Dance Theatre, which has been struggling to remain solvent for three months, is about to hire its first executive director to try to restore financial stability, the company said, but no one has been named yet.

Resignations over the last 18 months have reduced its board to three trustees from 17, Mr. Mitchell said. Those remaining are Mr. Mitchell, opera star Jessye Norman and Rodney E. Slater, President Bill Clinton’s transportation secretary. The company’s operating budget has declined to about $8 million from about $10 million two years ago.

Mr. Mitchell, a 1993 recipient of the Kennedy Center Honors, has been the moving force behind the organization that he founded in 1969 with $25,000 of his own money. Mr. Mitchell, the first black member of New York City Ballet, danced under George Balanchine for 15 years, starting in 1955.

Mr. Mitchell traced the company’s struggles to 1990, when it was not paid for touring fees. Dance Theatre laid the company off for six months but kept the school open. The company was also hit hard by the decline in charitable gifts after the terrorist attacks; contributions are down to $1.8 million in 2004 from $3.3 million in 2003. Mr. Mitchell also said that former board members did not live up to their obligations; trustees are expected to contribute $30,000 a year each.

On the other hand, he said, the company’s earned income — that is mainly its ticket sales — rose to $4.8 million in 2004 from $3.4 million the previous year.

The company recently returned from a nine-week tour of England, Ireland and Scotland and is scheduled to perform a five-night engagement at the Kennedy Center beginning June 8.

Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from Web and wire reports.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide