Sean Taylor's attorney, Edward Carhart, said the Washington Redskins safety may not have to face charges related to his arrest earlier this month in Florida.
The Miami-Dade police department's public information office said Friday that Taylor would be prosecuted on two felony counts of aggravated assault with a firearm. But a state attorney's spokesman yesterday said his office won't make a decision before Taylor's arraignment in Miami on Friday.
"I don't think that the state will continue with the charges against Sean," Carhart said. "The state's attorney told me that his mind was open. I hope to present some evidence to him before Friday that will demonstrate that Sean is the victim in this case. I'm convinced that Sean's story is true. I've talked to witnesses. I'm pretty convinced that there was no gun or baseball bat in Sean's car."
Taylor turned himself in June4, three days after the incident in which he is accused of pointing a gun at two people he believed had stolen his two all-terrain vehicles. Taylor supposedly then punched one of the people while an associate chased the other with a baseball bat. A second phase of the incident in which shots were reportedly fired at Taylor in retaliation remains under investigation.
Carhart said Taylor won't be on hand for arraignment and that he would enter a written plea of not guilty for his client.
Taylor hasn't spoken to the media since he was arrested for driving under the influence in October. Those charges were later dropped.