- The Washington Times - Saturday, November 5, 2005

MANAMA, Bahrain — Three Bahraini men returned home yesterday after being released from the U.S. military detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Bahraini authorities vowed to keep pressing Washington to free three remaining detainees.

Salman Ibrahim Al Khalifa, Abdullah Al-Noaimi and Adil Kamil Abdullah Al Haji were flown home aboard a U.S. military plane from Guantanamo, according to Bahraini authorities.

“The three have arrived and they are at their houses,” said Adel al-Moawdah, the deputy speaker of Bahrain’s parliament who had been pushing for their release.

The three were arrested four years ago by Pakistani authorities and handed over to U.S. forces during the war in Afghanistan in 2001.

“It was an ordeal for them and their families, which is why we have been working since day one to release them,” said Information Minister Muhammad Abdul Ghaffar. “We are happy that they are back and we are going to rehabilitate them into the society by finding them jobs and making them good citizens.”

About 200 well-wishers lined up to welcome one of the freed men, 40-year-old Mr. Al Haji, at a “majlis,” or public reception hall, in Muharraq, a northeastern suburb of the capital, Manama.

“It’s nice to be home, but I will be happier once they release all my detained brothers,” said a tired-looking but smiling Mr. Al Haji, who had a long dark beard and wore traditional white Arab robes. He was repeatedly handed cell phones to receive congratulatory calls from relatives and friends.

Three other Bahrainis are among the some 500 detainees still held at the Guantanamo facility in Cuba.

One of the detained Bahrainis, Juma’a Mohammed al-Dossary, 32, tried to kill himself Oct. 15 during a break from a meeting with his attorney, the lawyer, Joshua Colangelo-Bryan, said last week.

Al-Dossary, who has been at Guantanamo since January 2002 and has tried to kill himself before, survived the attempt but remains despondent over the conditions of his confinement, Mr. Colangelo-Bryan has said.

A Guantanamo spokesman, Lt. Col. Jeremy Martin, said last week that the military doesn’t discuss details about individual detainees at the prison, where nearly 30 prisoners have been on hunger strike since August to protest their confinement.

Copyright © 2017 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide