- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Question of the Day
Uh-oh. NBC’s morning hostess Katie Couric has her liberal leanings — but will her replacement be worse? The network has hired ABC’s Meredith Vieira to replace Mrs. Couric in September when she leaves “Today” to go play anchorwoman over on CBS.
NBC made the announcement yesterday, a day after Miss Couric said she would leave “Today.”
“I’m very honored that NBC has asked me to co-host the ‘Today’ show,” Miss Vieira said on her program “The View” to a long burst of applause from her co-hosts and the in-studio audience.
Brent Bozell of the Media Research Center was not happy.
“NBC promises to poison Americans’ mornings with liberal bias by hiring Meredith Vieira,” he said yesterday. “She is not bashful about her disgust of the Bush administration and her anti-war stance. She even declared in 2004 that ‘everything’s been built on lies. Everything. I mean the entire pretext for war.’ How can NBC consider her a credible journalist when she spouts anti-war propaganda?”
“Today” quite possibly could remain a feel-good forum for liberals, feministas and the blame-America-first crowd.
“Ms. Vieira is a megaphone for the liberal cause and will continue the drumbeat of unbalanced reporting in the mornings over at NBC. At a time when trust in the news media is at an all-time low, NBC continues to turn a deaf ear to their own prejudices,” Mr. Bozell concluded.
Raise up Old Glory
Things have gotten so touchy in schools out West that students are now prohibited from wearing camouflage-patterned clothing because such sartorial persuasions constitute a “political statement.”
Officials fear youngsters might think cammies are a sign that the wearer supports U.S. troops in Iraq.
Meanwhile, schools in Longmont, Colo., Apache Junction, Ariz., and Oceanside, Calif., have banned the display of national flags — including Old Glory — to “prevent violence” between Anglo and Hispanic students. That has irked Jack Wheeler, publisher of To the Point News, an online conservative news site.
“When American schools prohibit the display of American flags by their students, you know political correctness has become truly pathological,” Mr. Wheeler said. “What we need now is a civil rights movement for American citizens. This will require acts of civil disobedience. Students in any school with a ban on displaying the American flag should be encouraged to disobey the ban, and should take to court any school administrator who punishes them.”
Mr. Wheeler added, “Anyone who doesn’t like to see the American flag and prefers another country’s flag should go to live in that other country. Mexicans need to be happy with Mexico. If they don’t like their country the way it is, they need to stay there and change it.”
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Obama calls GOP lawsuit over executive overreach a 'political stunt'
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Homeland Security adviser tweets America is 'Islamic country'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs