- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
Haywood, Thomas have altercation
Washington Wizards coach Eddie Jordan benched starting center Brendan Haywood and reserve center Etan Thomas last night because of an altercation between the two players at Monday's practice, according to two team sources.
Haywood came off the bench to play 34 minutes in last night's 90-78 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves, and Thomas did not play at all.
Before the game, Jordan announced Michael Ruffin would start in Haywood's place at center. Haywood finished the game with nine points and nine rebounds.
Jordan said Haywood was being benched for violating an unspecified team rule. Jordan mentioned nothing about Thomas but since he is not a starter -- and because he has played a limited role for the team this season -- no questions were asked about whether or not he would play.
According to three sources, a heated argument took place between the two players during Monday's evening practice, the first since the All-Star break. Two sources said blows were exchanged, while a third source simply maintained that the two were clearly at odds with each other.
Haywood had no comment after the game.
-- John N. Mitchell
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.