- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 15, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Two South Florida teens suspected in the beatings of three homeless men turned themselves in to police yesterday, authorities said.

Family attorneys negotiated the surrenders of Brian Hooks, 18, and Thomas S. Daugherty, 17.

The two will face murder charges in the death of Norris Gaynor and aggravated battery charges in the videotaped beating of Jacques Pierre, said Capt. Michael Gregory of the Fort Lauderdale police.

They also are suspects in the beating of a third man, Raymond Perez, 49, whose case remains under investigation, Capt. Gregory said.

The teens were in police custody pending official charges from a grand jury, Capt. Gregory said. Police also were investigating whether the two may have been involved in other beatings and whether they had any accomplices.

“We do know there have been other assaults of homeless in Fort Lauderdale,” Capt. Gregory said.

Mr. Pierre, 58, was beaten on the Fort Lauderdale campus of Florida Atlantic University. Mr. Gaynor, 45, was killed as he slept a few blocks away on a secluded park bench near the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. He died from his injuries at a hospital Thursday.

Mr. Perez, 49, was beaten in a Church by the Sea garden.

“It’s senseless. If you look at these kids, it was almost like it was fun and games for them,” Officer Scott Russell said last week of the beatings.

It was not clear whether Mr. Perez and Mr. Pierre remained hospitalized yesterday.

According to the Washington-based National Coalition for the Homeless, 386 homeless people have been attacked nationwide since 1999, resulting in 156 deaths.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide