- Edge in Democrat-leaning Americans not enough to make up for GOP turnout: poll
- London mayor flies Palestinian flag at town hall to support Gaza
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Eric Cantor says he’ll resign on Aug. 18
- Ted Nugent slams ‘lying freaks’ at liberal media: I’m ‘doing God’s work’
- Joe Biden’s secret love: Skinny-dipping, Secret Service agents say
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
Bush rejects Iraq pullout
Question of the Day
Some Democrats questioned Mr. Bush’s trip to Iraq, with Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, Maryland Democrat, calling it “more like a well-staged media event than a true investigative mission” and top party leaders saying the visit doesn’t constitute a plan for victory.
“I don’t even think we have a clear idea of what the mission is in Iraq,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat. “The message to the Iraqi people has to be that they must have significant transition this year in taking responsibility for their government and for their security.”
Republicans seemed to welcome the debate among Democrats.
“I think this is a particularly bad time to send a message to the terrorists in Iraq that we might be thinking of running, just when they’re running,” said Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican.
The White House also said recent weeks prove why the Democrats’ amendment is a bad strategy.
“If we had pulled American troops out of Iraq in April, as some Democrats in Congress had advocated, then our troops wouldn’t have brought Zarqawi and many other terrorists to justice,” said White House spokeswoman Dana Perino.
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Congress leaves Obama holding the burden of border children
- Just-forged Israel-Hamas 3-day cease-fire ends in rocket fire
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world