- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Saunders: I call the plays
Question of the Day
Al Saunders set the record straight today at Redskin Park: He calls all the offensive plays and coach Joe Gibbs makes the decision on whether the Washington Redskins kick a field goal or go for it on fourth down.
"I have the responsibility of calling the offensive plays -- there's no conflict on whose calling the plays," said Saunders, the Redskins' associate head coach.
Misunderstandings have filled the D.C. airwaves -- particularly on sports talk radio -- this week, particularly suggesting that Gibbs takes a more active role in the play calling once the Redskins reach the opponent's 35-yard line. Gibbs and Saunders say that's hardly the case.
"We always have discussions between series and he's a great resource," Saunders said. "But during a drive, there's no time to have input from anybody or else we get delay of game calls."
Saunders said he has 10 seconds to call a play and he relays it to quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor, who in turn tells quarterback Mark Brunell.
Following a series, Saunders first talks with offensive line coach Joe Bugel and also gets input from Gibbs and the other offensive assistants on what is and isn't working and which plays might work on the next possession.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq