- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
LAMBRO: New Obama makeover?
Even on the core issue of Iraq withdrawal, he seemed to be wiggling away from a full pullout. “Three or four of his Iraq advisers are hinting of greater flexibility,” said Democratic defense analyst Michael O’Hanlon at the Brookings Institution. “That indicates the potential for some change in his previous position or at least some flexibility.”
In a recent conversation with Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, Mr. Obama reassured him “he will not take any drastic decisions or reckless actions” and would consult “very closely with the Iraqi government and the military commanders in the field” before any troop withdrawals, Mr. Zebari said.
All these and other changes in his campaign positions were “signs of increasing maturity and growth” in the young senator, former Democratic National Chairman Steve Grossman told me.
Or are they, as the McCain campaign charges, Mr. Obama’s willingness “to say or do anything it takes” to win the presidency?
Donald Lambro, chief political correspondent of The Washington Times, is a nationally syndicated columnist.
About the Author
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business on Vivec Murthy for surgeon general and smart guns
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- After three days, Redskins finally address defensive needs
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again