- Paul Walker secretly bought $9K wedding ring for Iraq vet
- Mystery sign poster hits Washington state town: ‘It’s OK to say Merry Christmas’
- Pope Francis forms commission to advise on sex abuse
- Anthony Weiner on radio? Cumulus says, ‘Never, ever’
- Executive order: Obama ups green-energy mandate on feds to 20 percent
- GOP launches candidate training: How to talk to women
- N.Y.’s Rockefeller Center lights up, as Bloomberg flicks on 76-foot Christmas tree
- Northern Ireland turns to ‘Game of Thrones’ to draw in tourists
- Washington woman live-tweets husband’s horrific car death
- China City of America mulled for New York — with $65M tax dollars
Ad rips celebrity Obama
Mr. Obama has been lampooned in the press for saturation coverage of his recent trip to the Middle East and Europe, and the fawning reactions he has received from audiences both in the U.S. and overseas.
The McCain folks say Mr. Obama brought the scrutiny upon himself.
“It’s not our campaign that’s trying to make him into an international celebrity; it’s his campaign,” said McCain campaign manager Rick Davis. Asked whether they intended the comparison to the two celebrities, who are usually portrayed as frivolous and draw negative coverage, Mr. Davis said it was “apples to apples.”
Mr. Obama is the cover story of the current issue of People magazine, and his eight-page spread in the magazine is immediately followed by a story detailing Lindsay Lohan’s relationship with her new girlfriend, Samantha Ronson.
But Mr. McCain has been dragged into the celebrity culture himself. A surprise endorsement from MTV reality show actress Heidi Montag earlier this year morphed into a much-publicized meeting between Miss Montag and Mr. McCain’s daughter, Meghan McCain, earlier this month.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medal of Honor case goes to 3rd defense secretary; Rep. Duncan Hunter says system broken
- John Boehner says blame for slow Congress lies with Democrats
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Adios muchacho: Christie threatens veto of NJ's Dream Act
- Issa: FBI impeding inquiry into IRS targeting of conservative groups
Latest Blog Entries
- CURL: 'Mission Accomplished' for Obamacare
- American teacher shot and killed at Benghazi international school
- NAPOLITANO: Liberty, the wellspring of capitalism and charity
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Democratic infighting erupts over 'we can have it all' fantasy on entitlements
- HARPER: 'Knockout game' not a myth to liberal Sharpton
- Obama returns to class warfare as poll numbers plunge
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Inside the Ring: China targeting U.S. spy flights amid escalating tensions
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
History doesn't have to be grim; there is a lot to be learned from the pages of time.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.