- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Ad rips celebrity Obama
Mr. Obama has been lampooned in the press for saturation coverage of his recent trip to the Middle East and Europe, and the fawning reactions he has received from audiences both in the U.S. and overseas.
The McCain folks say Mr. Obama brought the scrutiny upon himself.
“It’s not our campaign that’s trying to make him into an international celebrity; it’s his campaign,” said McCain campaign manager Rick Davis. Asked whether they intended the comparison to the two celebrities, who are usually portrayed as frivolous and draw negative coverage, Mr. Davis said it was “apples to apples.”
Mr. Obama is the cover story of the current issue of People magazine, and his eight-page spread in the magazine is immediately followed by a story detailing Lindsay Lohan’s relationship with her new girlfriend, Samantha Ronson.
But Mr. McCain has been dragged into the celebrity culture himself. A surprise endorsement from MTV reality show actress Heidi Montag earlier this year morphed into a much-publicized meeting between Miss Montag and Mr. McCain’s daughter, Meghan McCain, earlier this month.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Obama declares himself 'champion in chief' for immigration
- Senate blocks Obama's civil rights nominee
- House GOP considers contempt of Congress charge for Lerner
- DEA: Drug cartels look to capitalize on legal marijuana laws
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- AP Exclusive: Man said to create bitcoin denies it
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rutgers professors to Condi Rice: Go home, and take your speech with you
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again