- Jimmy Carter’s grandson makes gains in governor’s race in Georgia
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al Qaeda training camps
- Easter worshippers shocked as car rams church, injuring 21
- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
7 dead over 9 hours in D.C.
“The incidents are still being investigated, but the last word I heard was that there was no information that definitively linked anything,” said Officer Junis Fletcher, a police spokesman.
The killings put the District’s total for the year at 72, compared to 67 killings at the same time last year. The District recorded 181 killings last year - far below the peak total of 479 killings logged in 1991 but the first increase since 2002.
Mr. Fenty, a Democrat, said the killings represent an “unbelievably high level of violent crime to take place in a short period of time.”
But such crime has become more familiar this year in the Fifth District, which has fueled the city’s modest increase in homicides, accounting for nearly one in three killings in the city this year.
Mr. Fenty and police officials in April pledged to target high-crime areas and double the number of officers on patrol in the district in response to the violence after five persons were killed in four days.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Five former Virginia AGs want case against ex-governor Bob McDonnell dismissed
- Bowser's D.C. primary victory caps speedy rise to political prominence
- Scandal-weary D.C. voters send Mayor Gray packing
- New details lead police to D.C. park in search of missing 8-year-old girl
- Police: Columbia mall shooter left chilling message before rampage
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.