- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
7 dead over 9 hours in D.C.
“The incidents are still being investigated, but the last word I heard was that there was no information that definitively linked anything,” said Officer Junis Fletcher, a police spokesman.
The killings put the District’s total for the year at 72, compared to 67 killings at the same time last year. The District recorded 181 killings last year - far below the peak total of 479 killings logged in 1991 but the first increase since 2002.
Mr. Fenty, a Democrat, said the killings represent an “unbelievably high level of violent crime to take place in a short period of time.”
But such crime has become more familiar this year in the Fifth District, which has fueled the city’s modest increase in homicides, accounting for nearly one in three killings in the city this year.
Mr. Fenty and police officials in April pledged to target high-crime areas and double the number of officers on patrol in the district in response to the violence after five persons were killed in four days.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Police: 2 Alexandria shootings 'appear to be linked' to 2003 unsolved slaying of sheriff's wife
- Maryland teen killer gunned down in Israeli prison shootout
- D.C. man dies from wounds suffered in January shooting
- Man fatally shot in Northeast D.C.
- P.G. police ID victims in Capitol Heights triple homicide
Latest Blog Entries
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again