- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Dan Daly: Youth goes on display for Capitals
Question of the Day
FYI: In 1950, the Old Course played to a par of 73. It had 13 par-4 holes, three par-5s and two par-3s and measured 6,883 yards.
FYI, Part 2: Also competing in that British Amateur were Francis Ouimet, legendary winner of 1913 U.S. Open as a 20-year-old amateur, and Herbert Warren Wind, esteemed golf writer for the New Yorker.
News item: According to the New York Daily News, Viagra has been used by a growing number of major leaguers - including Roger Clemens - as a performance enhancer.
Comment: Giving new meaning to the expression “high hard one.”
I hope no one objects to the word “growing” in the previous item.
Something just dawned on me. In Clemens’ case, the “E” in ERA might not stand for “earned.”
Let’s face it, pitchers would apply Preparation H to their throwing arms if it would add 3 mph to their fastballs.
Surprisingly, Viagra and Cialis have yet to be added to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of banned drugs, and they’re expected to show up at this summer’s Olympics.
(Insert your own pole vault joke here.)
About the Author
Dan Daly has been writing about sports for the Washington Times since 1982. He has won numerous national and local awards, appears regularly in NFL Films’ historical features and is the co-author of “The Pro Football Chronicle,” a decade-by-decade history of the game. Follow Dan on Twitter at @dandalyonsports –- or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DALY: Rookies RG3, Alfred Morris hold their own against two Browns greats
- DALY: Players soon may equate Redskins with winning
- DALY: Just the tip of the iceberg for these Redskins
- DALY: Quarterbacks waste no time making impact
- DALY: Striking a balance integral to Redskins’ success
Latest Blog Entries
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq