- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
World Series preview
Question of the Day
Phillies: Chase Utley
The other left-handed slugger in the Phillies’ lineup, Utley is probably the most consistent hitter Philadelphia has. He hit .353 in the NLCS, and it’s difficult to imagine the Rays keeping him quiet for the entire series.
Rays: Jason Bartlett
He’s the less-heralded half of the package Tampa Bay got from the Minnesota Twins last winter, taking a back seat to Matt Garza. But Bartlett is a steady hitter with decent range who will be a fixture at the position for several years.
Phillies: Jimmy Rollins
Injuries have limited Rollins for much of the season, and he hasn’t been the same player he was during his 2007 MVP season. He hit .375 in the Phillies’ NLDS win over the Brewers but only batted .143 in the NLCS. Still, he’s a disruptive force at the top of Philadelphia’s lineup.
Rays: Evan Longoria
The presumptive AL Rookie of the Year also struggles against left-handers (he hit .242 against them compared to .284 against righties), so expect Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer to bait him with offspeed pitches. How he handles lefties will be key.
Phillies: Pedro Feliz
Feliz’s first season in Philadelphia has been disappointing — his production was off from what he usually did in San Francisco, and he has never been able to contribute much when he’s not hitting, as was the case in the NLCS.
About the Author
- Back in Minnesota, Saunders sees Wizards stumble
- T'wolves receive post-Christmas gift
- Nationals sign veteran Marquis
- Nats' buzz at meetings is change of strategy
- In Cleveland, Acta's stock still climbing
Latest Blog Entries
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq