- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
World Series preview
Phillies: Pat Burrell
The 31-year-old outfielder is difficult to keep from contributing one way or the other — his on-base percentage was .367 this season despite a .250 average. If you’re looking for a Phillies player that could swing the series, look no further.
Tampa Bay has a number of solid hitters here (Gabe Gross, Cliff Floyd, Eric Hinske and Willy Aybar) who can all DH in the home games. They also have Ben Zobrist, a key utility player who hit 12 homers this year.
Between Greg Dobbs, Geoff Jenkins and Chris Coste, the Phillies should have no problem finding a DH for the games in Tampa Bay. Matt Stairs also can be a key off the bench, as evidenced by his Game 4 home run in the NLCS.
NO. 1 STARTER
Rays: Scott Kazmir
The left-hander wasn’t at his best this year but might hold the key to Game 1 with how he fares against the Phillies’ lefty sluggers, particularly Ryan Howard. If he can locate his slider on the outside edge of the plate effectively, Kazmir should keep Tampa Bay close in the opener.
Phillies: Cole Hamels
He has been brilliant all postseason, more proof that he is one of baseball’s best young pitchers. Another strong outing from him in Game 1 would give Philadelphia its best chance to tip the series in its favor.
About the Author
- T'wolves receive post-Christmas gift
- Back in Minnesota, Saunders sees Wizards stumble
- Nationals sign veteran Marquis
- Nats' buzz at meetings is change of strategy
- In Cleveland, Acta's stock still climbing
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014