- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
World Series preview
Question of the Day
Phillies: Joe Blanton
The right-hander hasn’t given Philadelphia what it thought it would get when it acquired him this summer, but he’s still a dependable starter with a deceptive curveball who should give the Phillies a chance in Game 4.
This group isn’t nearly as effective as Philadelphia’s, but the emergence of 2007 top pick David Price could be a big key to this series. The 22-year-old saved Game 7 of the ALCS and has nasty enough stuff from the left side to shut down the Phillies late in games.
With Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge providing as good a late-inning combo as there is in baseball, the Phillies simply don’t lose games late. Literally. Philadelphia has not blown a ninth-inning lead all season.
Rays: Joe Maddon
The bespectacled manager has made all the right moves with his young team this season, drawing comparisons to Phil Jackson for both his demeanor and his ability to motivate. He also has shown a flair for gutsy moves, too, such as handing the ball to Price.
Phillies: Charlie Manuel
He has earned the nickname “Uncle Charlie” for his folksy wit, but the nickname doesn’t give enough credit to the work Manuel has done with Philadelphia. He has handled his bullpen brilliantly, and his players have bought in to his style.
About the Author
- T'wolves receive post-Christmas gift
- Back in Minnesota, Saunders sees Wizards stumble
- Nationals sign veteran Marquis
- Nats' buzz at meetings is change of strategy
- In Cleveland, Acta's stock still climbing
Latest Blog Entries
By James A. Lyons Jr.
The president has shifted alliance from friend to enemy
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world