- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
A bad mix for Maryland
Oddly, though, the Terps nearly wiped out a 16-point deficit in the second half, Hayes and Mosley the main cogs in a comeback to pull Maryland within 61-58. The Terps had three possessions at that score, failing to score each time.
Villanova’s Corey Fisher then made - what else? - a 3-pointer to ignite an 11-1 run.
“If we limit those second shots and try to pressure them more on the perimeter, I think we would have come out with a win tonight,” Mosley said. “But Villanova has great shooters, and they were just hitting wide-open shots. Even though we were flying at them, they were still hitting shots.”
The loss leaves Maryland much to do once ACC play commences in a month. The Terps’ signature nonconference victory likely will be Tuesday’s defeat of Indiana, and they won’t play a power conference opponent again until Florida State visits Jan. 10.
The Terps will look different soon enough. Junior forward Dino Gregory is expected to return from suspension Saturday, and there will be time to sort out a rotation in the next month. But Maryland will need to beat quality teams, rebound and defend the perimeter - all things that could have happened Sunday night but did not.
“I think we can play,” Williams said. “We’re going to have two weeks where we play one game, and I think that’s going to help us.”
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again