- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, non-lethal aid to counter Russians
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
Nationals bring back Olsen with one-year deal
Scott Olsen’s time on the unemployment line didn’t last long. One day after being nontendered by the Nationals, the left-hander signed a one-year, incentive-laden contract with Washington.
According to a source familiar with the deal, Olsen will earn $1 million in base salary. Incentives, though, would increase the deal to $3 million if he makes 25 starts and nearly $4 million if he makes 33 starts.
Olsen, 25, was nontendered by the Nationals before Saturday’s midnight deadline because as an arbitration-eligible player he would have been guaranteed a salary of at least $2.24 million in 2010. The Nationals weren’t willing to take that chance with a pitcher coming off major shoulder surgery.
Olsen, though, recently completed his rehabilitation program and was cleared to prepare for spring training as he normally would. He’s expected to compete for a spot in Washington’s Opening Day rotation, which currently has only one guaranteed member: John Lannan.
Acquired from the Florida Marlins along with Josh Willingham last winter for Emilio Bonifacio and two minor leaguers, Olsen went 2-4 with a 6.03 ERA in 11 starts before undergoing surgery for a torn labrum. In three previous big league seasons with the Marlins, though, he averaged 10 wins, a 4.65 ERA and 186 1/3 innings pitched.
About the Author
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.