- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Antidepressants tied to higher stroke risk
“It turned out that newer ones, the SSRIs, were not protective, and that was a surprise,” she said.
She said she hopes that publication of the study will influence drug companies to develop better antidepressants and get women to pay more attention to their cardiovascular risk factors.
“Hypertension is a risk factor for stroke and death and it is very badly controlled in the U.S. Although it has improved somewhat in the last decade, it still is far short of what it should be and it rises with age,” she said.
Another issue that might be a contributing factor to this, she said, was the fact that “an old woman may not be treated as aggressively as middle-aged men. Plus, older people tend not to adhere to medications, and then some people can’t afford them.”
The survey, she said, was observational and not a strictly clinical study with control groups and close monitoring.
“We don’t have clinical corroboration of depression. There was no psychiatric interview to see if a woman was depressed. We did screening as epidemiologists that has a lot of false positives and negatives,” she said.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.